Spotlight on History
Celebrating 40 Years of LPB
On September 6, 1975 at 11:58 a.m., Louisiana Public Broadcasting signed onto the air for the first time. Through the production of news and public affairs series, cooking shows, educational programs, and documentaries, LPB has documented the unique people, places and culture of Louisiana and created educational resources for Louisiana classrooms from the very beginning. During the month of September, the LDMA is highlighting LPB’s 40 years on the air!
See the first episodes from LPB’s on-going series.
- LPB Dedication (1975)
- Louisiana: The State We’re In: Angola (1976)
- Gubernatorial Debates: Primary Debate (1979)
- Inaugurations: Governor Dave Treen (1980)
- Louisiana Legends: Justin Wilson (1982)
- A Louisiana Thanksgiving with John Folse (1989)
- Louisiana Legends Gala: Ernest Gaines & Jimmie Davis (1990)
- Louisiana Young Heroes: Robert Vincent (1996)
- Louisiana Public Square: Economic Development (2004)
Newsmagazines & Documentary Series
Watch some of the best episodes from past LPB series.
- Louisiana Alive!: Louisiana Characters (1981)
- Folks: The New Orleans Four (1982)
- En Francais: A la Recherche d’Une Nouvelle Acadie: Une Odysée Acadienne (1985)
- Master Minds: Tiger Bugs (1988)
- Lost Louisiana: What’s in a Name? (2005)
Learn how to cook Louisiana cuisine.
- A Taste of Louisiana with Chef John Folse & Company: An Introduction to Cajun & Creole Cuisine (1990)
- Miss Lucy's Classic Cajun Culture and Cooking: Crawfish (2000)
View episodes created for Louisiana classrooms.
- North Star: Long Black Song, Part 2 (1985)
- The Power of Algebra: Positive Exponents (1988)
- ABCs of French: Le Picnic (1990)
- Savalot’s Energy Secrets (1992)
- Enviro-Tacklebox: A Zoo View (2000)
To view the entire LPB 40th Anniversary topic, click here.